Mahler's Aggressive Strength - MikeMahler.com

Friday, August 24, 2007

My Journey in the strength game

I picked up my first weight 1983, at the age of 14. I started lifting for football. Back then it was the 3 core lifts, bench, dead lift, and squats. Things were progressing very well. Then I had a few set backs. During the football season in 1984, I broke my ankle. Then in our winter conditioning program, I blew out my knee and had reconstructive surgery 2 days later. Well so much for my football dreams. I really got into the rehabilitation after my surgery. The exercises that had me doing were cool. So after my knee was healed. I started into bodybuilding. I was a 'pumper' at first, then I started lifting heavy again with 25 seconds rest in between sets. I finally got into nutrition in late 1987, and things started falling into place. I would continue that until 1995, when my first child was born. I had to give up my gym so he could have a room. At that time I picked up American Kenpo Karate in 1994. But that is a discussion for another time.

Back on the bodybuilding piece, I have probably tried every training method out there. I started with a 4 day a week MTTHF, and even went as far as the "Bulgarian Power Burst" Method. With this routine, I lifted 6 days a week, 3 times a day. Upper body was on odd days, lower on even days. MT were light, WTH were medium, and FS were heavy. At first I lost size, then after about a month I started regaining size.

More on this later

No comments: